Makomborero helps to relieve poverty in Zimbabwe, Africa through the education of children.
Makomborero achieves this by investing time in disadvantaged communities, and by supporting talented students to allow them to complete their education and attain excellent grades in their A-levels. Makomborero gives these children the chance to fulfil their undeniable potential and gives them hope and a future.
Our operations in Zimbabwe include:
- An A-level Scholarship Programme - We provide a scholarship programme for around 8 promising students each year. These students are selected from hundreds of applicants following a rigorous academic and character based selection process. All of the students are provided with a high quality A-level education at three top private schools in Harare, a home to live in and all the resources they require to make their study life as easy as possible. These students have all been recruited from the surrounding townships of Harare and each of them has an incredibly inspiring story of how they fought against tremendous odds to get through their GCSEs and come out with outstanding results.
- A University Grant Scheme - Support for our students doesn’t stop after A-Levels. In order to ensure that our scholarship students go as far as they can with their education, Mark and Laura work with these students to apply for university scholarships around the world. Those students who don’t benefit from university scholarships are offered a grant to study at a Zimbabwean university. These grants will be repaid once the students are in full-time employment, making this scheme self-supporting. We will have our first University Graduates in 2017.
- Revision Schools – These revision schools are run each year in the surrounding townships of Harare, targeting pupils and students about to write their GCSE. This is a much needed service for these schools, and is a wonderful way for our scholarship programme students to give back to their communities, as well as volunteer teachers from Zimbabwe or abroad. Our team of volunteers and students find it very humbling working with these schools and to see the hope that many pupils and students are given just by teachers who come from very different backgrounds to them taking the time to invest in their lives.
- Mobile Science Laboratory - In Zimbabwe, many schools in the high density (township) suburbs and rural areas are unable to afford to run science laboratories. The result is that pupils learn the theory behind practical experiments, without having any hands-on experience to draw from. Makomborero has converted an old shipping container into a Mobile Science Laboratory, that can be moved from school to school, enabling as many pupils as possible to have practical experience of using science equipment, as well as giving the teachers hands-on training and helping them gain confidence in using the small science kits each school is supplied by the Ministry of Education.
- Girl Mentorship Programme – Makomborero works with schools in the high density area to identify vulnerable* girls in From 2 and to provide a mentorship programme that gives them hope and vision for their futures beyond the society pressures they face. We hope to address, in a very small way, the gender imbalance we experience with our scholarship programme and see more girls making it through to Form 4 and not dropping out at Form 2. This project is run by Makomborero past girl students who have grown up in the environments these girls are in and know their very real struggles first hand. Our aim is to provide a source of inspiration and hope through giving life skills training, teaching a handicraft, and hosting inspirational speakers.
*Vulnerable – girls who have incredible family pressure, due to economic situation, to drop out of school, girls whose education is not a priority, girls who feel that they have no hope beyond getting married and leaving school before they are 15, girls who see no purpose in education, girls with disabilities, girls who struggle to see the value in education etc.